.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The World Unleashed

The Rantings of an unkown prophet can be found here; where no topic is safe! The resident savant will lead you thru the world as he sees it. Not an easy life, but one that MUST be shared, if the mission to "enlighten" is to reach fruition. Commentaries on religion, Catholicism, politics, abortion, evolution, sports, baseball, mets, yankees, entertainment, TV, american idol etc. can all be found here. enjoy it, hate it, come back often, send me your comments. all are welcome

My Photo
Name:

dont let my 1912 birthday bother you, i was born on feb. 29th so i only have birthdays every 4 years. so im only 26

Google
WWW http://allworldviews.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

California Executes Oldest Inmate

I know I usually write opposing the death penalty but today I write about the irony of it all. Mind you I ONLY oppose the death penalty because of the possibility of having convicted an innocent man.
California today executed its oldest inmate on death row, a 76 year old legally blind, nearly deaf, wheel chair bound diabetic.
Though the Supreme Court upheld the death sentence, Justice Steven Breyer filed a dissent, saying: "Petitioner is 76 years old, blind, suffers from diabetes and is confined to a wheelchair, and has been on death row for 23 years. I believe that in the circumstances he raises a significant question as to whether his execution would constitute cruel and unusual punishment. I would grant the application for stay."

The obvious irony being that America apparently only wants to execute young healthy men, others, such as the person described above, just kinda takes the fun out of it.

Link

1 Comments:

Blogger sume said...

Hey D, thanks for stopping by my blog.

When I read about this, I was appalled. You'd think the guy's been punished enough.

1/18/2006 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home